Friday, May 8, 2015

Fiber Junkies Show and Tell

We did have an inspiring show and tell at Fiber Junkies the other day. Kate had spend a week at Pro Chemical taking her second workshop with Carol Soderland. The results were beautiful, most of it dealt with neutrals which Kate had samples of in a notebook. 
 This was one of the gradation dyes she did.
 This was another experiment where she folded her fabric and did some subtle changes between the starting and ending color which was quite effective.
 Kate also showed us an amazing quilt she did for her nephew who is in a group - the Ultramarines. Silly me, when I first heard the name, I thought it had something to do with the marines - not so...a video game of some sort he plays in a group. The most amazing thing about this quilt is that it's all hand painted. Kate did an wonderful job; her nephew will be thrilled.
 Gen shared with us the finished pieces of last months ice dyeing, all were beautiful and "drool worthy".
 Denny has been studying with Hollis Chatelaine for 8 years as part of a 10 year class that meets annually and touches base throughout the year. This year the group was studying thread and the effct it has on our fiber work. This study group is labor intensive but Denny loves it and comes home with lots of new information and samples she shares with us, so it's been a bit of an education for our group also.
 We all loved this sample Denny shared with us of her disperse dyes. I have to admit, I've tried them in the past and wasn't that impressed as the color wasn't very intense, but I may have to rethink that. Denny does layer color upon color using the painted papers. The effect is lovely and it doesn't change the hand of the fabric no matter how much layering you do. The only drawback, if it is a drawback, is that you work on synthetic fabric which will take these dyes -  a natural fiber will not. I'm not a purist and I make art quilts so this will be just fine. I can see playing with this technique in the future.
 Val brought some of her ice dyed fabric from last playday and as always - beautiful.
The intensity of the color of this one was incredible.
On another note, I'm off to Atlanta to see my daughter and Audrey - my granddaughter. It's a celebration of my daughter's birthday - I became a mother on mother's day. Have a wonderful mother's day.

No comments:

Post a Comment